Built in the 1770’s, Kennetpans Distillery formed the Scottish and Irish whisky industries as we know them today.
Both the Haig and the Jamesons brands have their roots in the Clackmannanshire distillery, which was the worlds first industrial distillery.
The large-scale distilleries of east central Scotland were, in the 1770s and 1780s, among the largest capitalist enterprises in Scotland. Most survived to be converted into grain whisky distilleries in the period 1825-50, and were subsequently modernised from time to time. Others were demolished or converted to new uses, such as the neighbouring Kilbagie, for many years a paper mill.
Though ruinous, Kennetpans is now the most complete survivor of these once economically important concerns, which helped to transform the economy of the region by converting barley from improved agriculture into high-value spirit, by encouraging growth of local coal-mining, and by providing nutritious by-products for the large-scale rearing of cattle and pigs.
Its location where a stream-mouth keeps open a navigable channel into the Forth illustraes the importance of water transport for a large industrial unit at that time, and the steam engine house is one of the earliest of its type in Scotland. For these reasons the monument is unquestionably of national importance.
The Future of the Distillery
Kennetpans Distillery has so far stood the test of time for almost three hundred years, but is in desperate need of restoration.
The Kennetpans Trust are looking for help in saving this famous landmark, through donations and other means, if you are interested please click the image below to find out more on the Kennetpans Trust website.